Vector Maps of the Auburn : city seat (1854) of Androscoggin county, southwestern Maine, U.S., on the Androscoggin River opposite Lewiston and part of the Lewiston-Auburn metropolitan area. Settled in 1786, Auburn was separated from Minot in 1842 and is supposed to have been named for the Auburn of Oliver Goldsmith’s poem The Deserted Village. The manufacture of shoes was once the city’s chief industry. Today diversified industries produce plastic laminates, automotive products, and electrical components. The Androscoggin Historical Society Library and Museum has exhibits derived from local history. Recreational facilities include the nearby Lost Valley Ski Area, Lake Auburn, and Taylor Pond. Inc. town, 1842; city, 1869.