Vigo County is a county located in the U.S. state of Indiana. Its county seat is Terre Haute, which is the largest city in the county. Here are some key facts about Vigo County and Terre Haute, Indiana:
- Location: Vigo County is situated in western Indiana and is part of the Terre Haute metropolitan area. It is bordered by the Wabash River to the west, the state of Illinois to the west and southwest, and several other counties within Indiana.
- Terre Haute: Terre Haute is the largest city and the county seat of Vigo County. It is known as the “Crossroads of America” due to its location at the intersection of major highways and railroads. Terre Haute is home to several educational institutions, including Indiana State University and Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology.
- Economy: The economy of Terre Haute and Vigo County has historically been diverse, with a focus on manufacturing, education, healthcare, and retail. Indiana State University and various medical facilities are significant employers in the area.
- Cultural and Recreational Attractions: Terre Haute offers a range of cultural and recreational attractions, including the Swope Art Museum, the Candles Holocaust Museum, the Terre Haute Children’s Museum, and the Clabber Girl Museum, which highlights the history of the Clabber Girl baking powder company. The city also hosts various annual events and festivals.
- Demographics: Vigo County is home to a diverse population, with residents from various backgrounds and walks of life. The population of Terre Haute and Vigo County has varied over the years, but it has remained an important regional hub in western Indiana.
- Education: Indiana State University is a prominent institution in Terre Haute, offering a wide range of academic programs. Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology is known for its engineering and science programs and is also located in the city.
- Transportation: Terre Haute is well-connected by various modes of transportation, including several major highways, such as I-70 and U.S. Route 41, as well as railroads. The Terre Haute Regional Airport provides air travel services to the area.
- History: Terre Haute and Vigo County have a rich history, with roots dating back to the 1700s. The city and county have played important roles in transportation, manufacturing, and education throughout their history.