Kandahar is a major city in Afghanistan, and it is the capital of Kandahar Province. The city is located in the southern part of the country and has a rich history, as it has been a center of trade, culture, and politics in the region for centuries.
1. Kandahar District:
- Downtown Kandahar: This is the central and most developed part of the city, home to government offices, markets, and commercial areas. It’s known for its bustling atmosphere and diverse population.
2. Daman District:
- Daman-e-Koh: This area is situated to the east of Kandahar city and is known for its agricultural activities and scenic views. It’s a relatively quieter part of the city compared to the urban center.
3. Arghandab District:
- Arghandab City: Located to the north of Kandahar city, this district has a mix of urban and rural areas. It’s known for its agricultural activities and historic sites.
4. Panjwai District:
- Panjwai: This district is located to the west of Kandahar city and is known for its agricultural production, including pomegranates and grapes. It has a mix of rural and semi-urban areas.
5. Zhari District:
- Zhari: This district is also situated to the west of Kandahar city and is known for its rural character and agriculture. The district has had a significant presence of international military forces due to its strategic location.
6. Spin Boldak District:
- Spin Boldak: This district is located to the south of Kandahar city and shares a border with Pakistan. It’s an important border crossing point and has been a key trade route for centuries.
Neighborhoods and specific descriptions of areas within Kandahar can change due to the dynamic nature of the region. Additionally, the security situation has played a significant role in shaping the city’s development and accessibility.