Kaliningrad, a Russian exclave situated on the Baltic Sea, is divided into several city districts and neighborhoods. Here are descriptions of some of the key districts and neighborhoods in Kaliningrad:
- Leningradsky District (Ленинградский район): This district is located in the city center and is home to many historic landmarks, including the iconic Königsberg Cathedral (now known as the Kaliningrad Cathedral), which is the city’s symbol. Leningradsky District has a mix of residential areas, shops, restaurants, and cultural sites.
- Moskovsky District (Московский район): This district is located to the southeast of the city center. It features a mix of residential and industrial areas, as well as green spaces and parks. One notable attraction in this district is the Victory Square, a prominent landmark commemorating the Soviet victory in World War II.
- Tsentralny District (Центральный район): As the name suggests, this is the central district of Kaliningrad. It’s where you’ll find government offices, cultural institutions, and the city’s main business district. The central area is home to theaters, museums, and shopping centers.
- Moscovskiy Posad (Московский посёлок): This neighborhood is known for its historic buildings and green spaces. It’s a charming place to take a walk and admire the architectural heritage of the city. The Kaliningrad Zoo is also located in this area.
- Chernyakhovsk (Черняховск): While not part of Kaliningrad itself, Chernyakhovsk is a town located in the Kaliningrad Oblast. It’s known for its historic architecture, including the St. George’s Cathedral and the remnants of the Insterburg Castle.
- Svetlogorsk (Светлогорск): Situated on the Baltic coast, Svetlogorsk is a popular resort town known for its sandy beaches, promenade, and the distinct architecture of its buildings. It’s a popular destination for tourists seeking relaxation and seaside activities.
- Zelenogradsk (Зеленоградск): Another coastal town, Zelenogradsk is known for its beautiful sandy beaches and the famous wooden watchtower offering panoramic views of the Baltic Sea. The town has a relaxing, small-town atmosphere.
- Guryevsk (Гурьевск): Guryevsk is a town in the Kaliningrad Oblast, not far from Kaliningrad city. It has an industrial character with various factories and enterprises.