Ithaca, New York, is a charming and vibrant city located in the Finger Lakes region of upstate New York. It’s known for its stunning natural landscapes, outdoor recreational activities, and cultural attractions. Here are some of the top attractions in Ithaca:
- Cornell University: One of the Ivy League universities, Cornell’s campus is beautiful and offers a variety of attractions, including the Cornell Botanic Gardens and the Johnson Museum of Art.
- Ithaca Commons: This pedestrian-friendly area in downtown Ithaca is a hub for shopping, dining, and entertainment. You’ll find unique boutiques, restaurants, and street performers.
- Taughannock Falls State Park: Just a short drive from Ithaca, this park features the stunning Taughannock Falls, which is even taller than Niagara Falls. You can hike along the gorge trail and enjoy picnicking and swimming in the summer.
- Buttermilk Falls State Park: Another beautiful natural area near Ithaca, this park offers hiking trails and a natural swimming pool beneath Buttermilk Falls.
- Robert H. Treman State Park: This park features a series of picturesque waterfalls, including Lucifer Falls, and offers hiking and swimming opportunities.
- Cayuga Lake: The longest of the Finger Lakes, Cayuga Lake is a great spot for boating, fishing, and water activities. There are also wineries along the Cayuga Lake Wine Trail.
- Museum of the Earth: Located near the Cayuga Lake, this museum is affiliated with the Paleontological Research Institution and houses a vast collection of fossils and exhibits related to the history of the Earth.
- Hangar Theatre: This professional regional theater offers a variety of performances, including plays, musicals, and other theatrical productions.
- Sciencenter: A hands-on science museum that’s great for families, featuring interactive exhibits, a butterfly garden, and live science demonstrations.
- The History Center in Tompkins County: Learn about the history of Ithaca and the surrounding area through exhibits and archival materials.
- Ithaca Farmers Market: Open from April to December, this farmers market features local produce, crafts, and food vendors, making it a great place to experience the local culture.
- Cayuga Nature Center: A great place for kids and nature enthusiasts, with live animal exhibits and outdoor trails.
- Ithaca Falls: Right in the heart of Ithaca, this urban waterfall is easily accessible and offers a beautiful natural setting for a leisurely walk or a picnic.
- Sagan Planet Walk: A scale model of the solar system where you can walk from the sun to Pluto, with informational plaques at each stop to learn about the planets.
- Shops and Restaurants: Ithaca is known for its diverse and vibrant food scene, with numerous local and international dining options. Be sure to explore the local shops and restaurants to get a taste of the city’s culture.
Ithaca is a great destination for nature lovers, history buffs, and those looking for a peaceful and picturesque getaway in upstate New York.